For a map of athletic facilities, click here.
Ray Dennison Memorial Field
The Skyhawk football and women's lacrosse teams plays their home games on the natural grass surface of Ray Dennison Memorial Field. Four thousand fans can fit into the bleachers on the west side of the stadium; as many as 6,000 people have crammed into the bowl for key games.
The stadium is named in honor of former Fort Lewis A&M Aggies football player Ray Dennison, who died on September 26, 1955, 30 hours after suffering a head injury on a kickoff against Trinidad State Junior College.
The Aggies dedicated the rest of the season to Dennison. With coaches Ned Wallace and Duane Skinner at the helm, they went 7-2-1 and finished high in the Empire Junior College Conference standings.
As the college moved from Hesperus to its present-day home overlooking Durango, campus officials decided to name the new football stadium in honor of Dennison.
Burnett Construction Company dug the bowl for the stadium from a natural depression in 1956. Construction began in the summer of 1958. The first games were played there in the fall of 1959.
On Oct. 29, 1960, preceding Fort Lewis A&M’s game with Eastern Arizona College, the new stadium was dedicated to Ray Dennison.
Ray Dennison Memorial Field also houses an eight-room press box on the West side of the field for media and game-day staff.
The Skyhawks women’s volleyball and men's and women's basketball teams play their home games in Whalen Gymnasium. Whalen Gymnasium counts capacity at 2,750 for basketball games and 1,500 for volleyball games.
The gym is named for Fort Lewis College Hall-of-Famer Dr. Donald F. Whalen, who passed away September 26, 2006.
In 2003, the Whalen Gymnasium, formerly known as the Fort Lewis Field House, was dedicated to the lifelong supporter of Fort Lewis.
Dr. Whalen began a 29-year career at Fort Lewis College in 1959 as a physical education instructor, head basketball coach and assistant football coach. He became the school’s Director of Athletics in 1962 and served in that capacity for eight seasons. During that time, he started and coached the Fort Lewis College golf team. Other posts held by Dr. Whalen include Director and Dean of the School of Education, Acting Dean of Academic Affairs, Vice President of Academic Affairs, and Acting President of the college before his retirement in 1988. Following retirement, Dr. Whalen worked with he Fort Lewis College Foundation and the Admissions and Development Office.
The Skyhawk men’s and women's soccer teams play their home games on the natural grass surface of Dirks Field. A capacity of 2,000 helped the Skyhawks lead the nation in attendance for Division II men’s soccer in 2005 and 2006.
The field is named for Fort Lewis College friend and donor Martin Dirks, a former club soccer player at Fort Lewis in the 1970s. Today, Martin supports the soccer program in many ways, including financially.
Some of Dirks’ contributions include donating funds, which went towards men’s soccer locker room improvements, the fence surrounding the field, and the scoreboard, which first graced the field in 2004, part of the excavation of the football practice fields and part of Dirks Field, as well as scholarship money.
Prior to Dirks Field, the soccer program shared Ray Dennison Memorial Field with the football team starting in 1991, the year of the men's program’s inception, until 1997.
In addition to hosting the Skyhawks, Dirks field has hosted many playoff games. Soccer also uses the adjacent press box located on Ray Dennison Memorial Field.
Aspen Field, home of the Fort Lewis College Skyhawk women's softball team, also hosts the Durango High School ladies' Demon softball team in the fall and recreational league softball during summer months. Aspen field was dedicated in memory of George A. Fisher, who collapsed on the pitcher's mound and died in July 1985.
The softball complex also includes the Birch and Cedar fields, as well as a playground.
AUXILIARY ATHLETIC FACILITIES
The Fort Lewis College weight room, located in Whalen Gymnasium, is used by the varsity athletic program. The Fort Lewis football program's friend Robert DeGuelle generously donated $60,000 for renovations in 2006.
Athletic Training Room
The Athletic Training Room caters to students athletes and offers hands-on learning experience for Exercise Science students who are enrolled in the Athletic Training Program.
The Aquatics Center houses most of the Skyhawk Athletic offices as well as an Olympic-sized swimming and diving pool. Area high schools, clubs and Fort Lewis Students are the primary users of this facility. Summer camps also use the pool on a limited basis.
Ray Dennison Memorial Track
The Ray Dennison Memorial Field Track is available for walking/running to FLC community on a daily basis sunrise to sunset.
The track is not available while practices, contests and/or events are in progress.
Please respect the following rules of the track:
- No wheeled objects are allowed on the track;
- No dogs or other pets;
- No loud music, alcohol, inappropriate or illegal activities;
Violators of the above rules will be asked to leave by a college official.
Student Life Center
The Student Life Center is a $7.5 million student-funded facility at Fort Lewis College. The Student Life Center was a 2002 NIRSA Outstanding Sports Facility award winner and an Athletic Business Facility of Merit nominee and a 2003 Recreation Management Honor Award Winner. The space within the facility has been dedicated to meet the present and future needs of open recreation, outdoor pursuits, fitness programs and intramural programs for the students. For more information, click here.